Here are the safety instructions to follow in the event of a fire.
Anyone who notices a fire outbreak or the presence of smoke must immediately apply the Safeguard, Alert, Close, and Extinguish principles:
Move or evacuate anyone in the vicinity of the fire;
Sound the alarm by pulling a manual fire control (audible alarm) and immediately notify the person in charge of the location and nature of the fire by calling:
- Gaspé campus : 418 368-2201, extension 8888
- Magdalen Islands campus: 418 986-5187, extension 2222
- Carleton-sur-Mer campus: 418 364-3341, extension 4444
- École des pêches et de l’aquaculture du Québec: 418 385-2241, extension 3333
- Montreal campus: 1 888 368-2201, extension 7777
If necessary, dial 9 1 1.
Close all doors and windows to prevent the rapid spread of the fire;
If safe and feasible, extinguish the fire with a portable fire extinguisher. Do not attempt to extinguish small fires if your safety is at risk. Make sure you have an escape route.
When an audible alarm is triggered:
- Cease all activity.
- Leave the building through the nearest exit:
- Do not waste time retrieving your personal items;
- Close the door of the room when you leave;
- Never open a door without checking with the back of your hand if it is hot;
- Check for smoke in the hallway and, if any, cover your mouth and nose with a cloth (sweater, coat, etc.);
- Proceed to the assembly point:
For the Gaspé campus
For the Magdalen Islands campus
For the Carleton-sur-Mer campus
For the École des pêches et de l’aquaculture du Québec
For the Montreal campus
If it is impossible to exit the building:
- Ensure your own safety.
- Activate the manual fire control (audible alarm).
- Stay in your room or move to the nearest room.
- Seal the bottom of the door. If there is smoke, stay close to the floor.
- Call the person in charge of your campus, dial 911, or otherwise make your presence known.
- You should attempt to control an incipient fire only by using a fire extinguisher.
To use a fire extinguisher
- Make sure you have an escape route.
- Position yourself between the fire and your emergency exit.
- Pull the pin out of the extinguisher.
- Hold the extinguisher upright and aim at the root of the fire with slow left-to-right movements.
- Evacuate the area as soon as the extinguisher is empty.
Wait for instructions from the emergency response team before re-entering the building or leaving the assembly point.