If you are a witness
- Get to safety and notify the person in charge of your campus (so that they can declare a lockdown) by dialing your campus emergency number:
1 888 368-2201, ext. 7777
418 368-2201, ext. 8888
418 986-5187, ext. 2222
418 364-3341, ext. 4444
École des pêches et de l’aquaculture du Québec
418 385-2241, ext. 3333
- If necessary, call 911 and follow their instructions.
Or if you receive a warning notification
BARRICADE in a safe place
- Cease all activity.
- Stay in the room you are in. If you are in a hallway or open area, move to the nearest room and stay there.
- Be quiet and stand along the walls, crouch away from doors and windows, in a safe corner of the room.
- Lock doors and, if possible, barricade them with furniture.
- Turn off the lights.
- Block out windows where possible.
- Turn off notifications on your cell phone and any other electronic device and do not use landline phones. Do not use your cell phone. Transmitting information could jeopardize your safety or the safety of others or interfere with the police response.
- If people are injured, assess their injuries and assist them.
- If the fire alarm goes off, keep the lockdown in place and follow the instructions given by the person in charge or by the police.
- Wait for instructions from the police.
If you are off campus
Move to a safe place to stay until told otherwise or leave the premises.
- Keeping quiet can save your life. Don’t shout!
- Do not activate the fire alarm: if people evacuate the premises, they will be exposed to the possibly armed individual.
If you are outside de campus ground
- Do not show up or stay on college grounds.
- Do not communicate with the media.
- Do not circulate any information that could be detrimental to the operation.
When the lockdown is lifted
Use the green and red cards located at the entrance of each classroom and/or follow the instructions of the teacher or adult in charge who is present.
- The lifting of the lockdown will be announced by means of an Omnivox warning.
- Report (using the cards) the condition of your lockdown location, and be patient (the police must secure every location, individually and methodically, before removing people from those places):
- If there are injured people, slide the card under the door with the red side facing you;
- If no one is injured, slide the card under the door with the green side facing you.
- Stay in the room until the police say you can leave.
- Follow the instructions given by the person in charge or by the police.
- Do not make any sudden moves, keep your hands visible and follow directions.
After the intervention
- A crisis committee has been set up to identify people at risk, provide psychosocial support, plan the resumption of activities and take stock of the events.
- Do not hesitate to ask for help if you need it.